Famous Tourist Attraction in the District of North 24 Parganas :
1. Dakshineswar Kali Temple
Dakshineswar Kali Temple is the most famous Hindu temple located in Dakshineswar near Kolkata. Situated on the eastern bank of the Hooghly River, the presiding deity of the temple is Bhavatarini. The temple was built by Rani Rashmoni, a philanthropist and a devotee of Kali in 1855. The temple is famous for its association with Ramakrishna, a mystic of 19th Century Bengal.
2. Adyapith Near Dakshniswer
Close to Dakshineswar temple is Adyapith, a pilgrim centre, the temple of Adya Ma. Sree Annada Thakur being advised in a dream had built this temple of 'Adya Ma' in order to teach man the dictums of love and idealism. The construction was started in 1340 BS and the temple was inaugurated on Makar Sankranti (last day of Bengali calendar month Poush) in 1375 BS.
On this bottom is a murti of Sri Ramakrishna with word "Guru" inscrebed nearby on this middle altar is a replica of the murti of Adya Ma found by Ananda Thakur in the Eden Garden. This murti is made of 8 metals. Nearby inscribed "Knowledge and Work". Topmost of adorned by the murtis of Radha & Krishna. Known all over the world as Divine Couple. Love is written on the altar . One hour brfore sunrise Mangalarati starts, at 10.30 is Bhogarati, 1.5 hours after sunrise is Sitalarati.
Barrackpore was one of the earliest British settlements along the Hooghly river. The name Barrackpore originates from the English word barracks. Barrackpore acquired the name as the site of the first major military base of the British East India Company. Prior to that time, Barrackpore was known as Chanak, and is mentioned by that name in the Manasa Mangal. Arguably, it is also believed that during the regime of Mughal emperor Aurangazeb, this place was a major collection centre of "khajna" (taxes) and then it was named as Barbakpur. With time, the name changed to Barrackpore. Famous for its summer breeze, it was a popular riverside retreat for the British in Kolkata.
4. Gandhi Ghat at Barrackpore
A tomb in the memory of Mahatma Gandhi, a lush green garden dotted with 120 varieties of roses, exquisite plants and trees, a picturesque sunset and an exciting riverfront ' the Gandhi Ghat package is good enough to entice you to break free from crowded Kolkata and set off for Barrackpore, around 30 km north from the heart of the city.
Built in 1948 (the year the father of the nation died), the monument on the banks of the river Hooghly and the sprawling garden, Jawahar Kunj ' maintained by the state forest department ' can offer a day's respite to city-dwellers. It was inaugurated by Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru.
5. Gandhi Museum at Barrackpore
Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya or more aptly the Memorial Museums set up on Mahatma Gandhi at the behest of Gandhi Memorial Trust.
The variety of collections at the Museum at Barrackpore provide interesting and highly informative direct research materials regarding the personality, thinking and the programmes of the Mahatma or about events in his life.
The museum's search for an alternative ideology, in place of those that are pursued still by Governments and countries without being able to bring about real welfare of the people, through various intellectual exercises like seminars, dialogues or other such programmes and its research activities, perhaps a first by a purely biographical museum and beyond its collected objects must be regarded as a distinct feature.
6. Mangal Pandey Park at Barrackpore
This park has been dedicated to the famous freedom fighter, Mangal Pandey. He was a soldier in Barrackpore Cantonment who rose in rebellion against the British. He ended up wounding two British Officer with his musket and sword. He was thus court martialled and hung to dealth on April 8, 1857. This park also has a statue of Mangal Pandey and a memorial dedicated to him in the park. There is a small baby elephant statue raising his trunk in mark of respect in front of Mangal Pandey's statue.
7. Annapurna Temple at Barrackpore
The temple similar to Dakshineswar Temple at Titagrah on the bank of river Ganga. It was opened to devotees on the 12th of April, 1875 (30th Chaitra 1281) by Sri Sri Ramkrishna Paramahansa. The Temple was built by Rani Rashmoni's Youngest daughter Jagadamba Devi. She was married to Mathur Mohan Biswas who, after the death of his first wife, Rani Rashmoni's second daughter Karunamoyi, married Jagadamba Devi. The majestic Temple stands on the Rani Rashmoni ghat near Barrakpore.
8. Naihati Bankim Sangrahashala
Bankim Sangrahashala is the library museum of Rishi Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, the great novelist and poet of India. It is located at Kanthalpara, Naihati in the North 24 Paraganas. Established in 1954, the museum occupies only a portion of the big ancestral house, located alongside. Notably, Bankim Sangrahashala (Museum) has become one of the most sought after places nearby Kolkata over the years. The spot is significant because Rishi Bankim Chandra wrote and composed the national song of India, VandeMataram over here. The heritage museum is a living testimony of the fact that the other great personalities of pre-independent India like Rishi Aurobindo Ghosh, Chittaranjan Das, Dinabandhu Mitra, Keshab Chandra Sen, used to come here for spending some quality time in this peaceful ambiance along with the great poet and author.
9. Mulajor Kalibari at Shyamnagar
During the rule of Raja Krishna Chandra of Kirshnanagar, the king gave the village called MULAJORE at Shyam Nagar along with a title of ROY GUNAKAR to his court poet Bharat Chandra Roy. In memory of Bharat Chandra Roy Gunakar there is a very old and historic library named Bharat Chandra Library. It is situated very close to the railway station.
Relatives of Rabindranath Tagore had set up MulajorKalibari at Shyamnagar in North 24 Parganas. The Temple beside Hooghly River that is located in a very eye soothing natural scene. The Temple was constructed on 31 Baishak in 1219 Bengali year around 200 years ago beside Hooghly River even before Dakhineswar Kali Temple was set up by Rani Rasmoni Devi. Six priests are engaged for offering puja to goddess Kal.
10. Kanthadhari Math at Baranagar
The Kanthadhari Math is situated at Baranagar in Kolkata. It is one of the old religious places of Kolkata. The math was probably established in the first part of sixteenth-century at Mathura Nath Chowdhury Street under the Baranagar Municipality. It is situated on the bank of the river Ganges. It is said that Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu visited the math on his way to Nilachal (Puri). He donated his rag to the worshipper of this math when he left from Baranagar. Since then the math was named as Kanthadhari Math. According to the local history, this was a place of wrestling of the revolutionaries during the freedom movement where the operation of gun and weapon were generally taught. On 26th August of 1914, the arms were looted from Baranagar and 12 nos. of Mauser pistol from the looted arms were kept behind the idol of Gouranga within the wooden box by Sri Khagendranath Chatterjee, the dearest friend of Sri Bipin Behari Ganguli. In 2007, the math was declared as heritage by the West Bengal Heritage Commission.
11. Kunjabatiat Khardah
It is situated at Khardah under Barrackpore sub-division of North 24 Parganas district. At the order of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, Sri SriNityanandaMahaprabhu selected Kunjabati for 'HarinamSankirtan' at Khardah- the pilgrimage for Vaishnavas. Sri Purandar Pandit used to pray here. He donated 26 bighas of land to NityanandaMahaprabhu for residential and preaching of Vaishnava ideology. From that time, the descendants of NityanandaMahaprabhu are following the practice for 500 years. On the Eastern side of Kunjabati, there is an idol of Sri NityanandaMahaprabhu and the burial ground of his wives Basudha and Jahnabi at the courtyard of the house.
12. Sadhak Ramprasad Vita at Halisashar
The house and ashram of the famous poet and religious figure Sadhak Ramprasad was located at Halisahar village of North 24 Parganas, a famous place rich with heritage and cultural importance. It is the birthplace of Ramprasad Sen who was one of the most famous devotees of Goddess Kali. Ramprasad is remembered for the songs and poems he composed which is known as Ramprasadi Sangeet. The Ramprasadi tune known for its distinctness had influenced numerous later day poet-composers including Rabindranath. Ramprasad was a close friend of Maharaja Krishnachandra of Nadia. Ramprasad performed his sadhana here in his Panchamundi Asana, thus this place is also known locally as ‘Panchabati Temple’.
13. Chandraketugarh at Berachanpa
Chandraketugarh is located in the district of North 24 Parganas, only 38 km. north-east of Kolkata. The history of Chandraketugarh dates back to almost the 3rd Century B.C., during the pre-Mauryan era. Historians identify this site with the ancient Gangaridai mentioned by the Greek traveller, Megasthenes, in his work 'Indika'.
Now there is a Museum. The Chandraketugarh museum was inaugurated by the Hon’ble chief Minister Smriti Mamata Banerjee on 11th January 2019 .A part of archaeological finds is displayed in this Museum which was collected by late DilipkumarMaite , a local personality has interest in the past legacy of Chandraketugarh. Dilip Kumar Maite collected total 524 nos antiquities from this site .After his death his son Shri DipanMaite handed over the antiquities to the District Administration North 24Parganas. Total antiquites display in Museum gallery 244 no. and 280 no. antiquities Storage Room(Museum Collection) .Total Showcase 28.
14. Chakla Dham under Deganga Development Block
15. Kachua Dham at Matia PS. Under Basirhat-II
It is a most popular Pilgrimage among the Hindu religions for the birth place of Lacknath Baba. Every year many visitors visit here from far away. Especially due to Lokenath Baba’s Birthday ceremony, a huge people are crowded here.
State Govt. has sanctioned of amount Rs. 25 Crore forCiecuit Tourism for development of Kachua & Chakla, Loknath Ashram, North 24 Parganas.
16. Puratan Kalibari or Baro Kalibari at Basirhat
Located at Trimohini bus stoppage of Basirhat town in North 24 Parganas. Reportedly, more than 300 years ago, the temple was established by a group of robbers. In that time, the place was covered by cane-bush and no such human habitation was found. Primarily the temple was constructed by the leaves of Nipa palm and bamboos. After almost 175 years, an influential landlord named HarimohonDalal, rebuild the temple with bricks and digged a deep and large pond which is still being used. Now this temple is not only one of the oldest temples of the temples of district, but one of the most attractive devotional places too.The temple is very easy to reach by train and car both. Nearest Railway station is Basirhat and bus stop is Trimohini.
Due to old period the condition of temple's roof is not well nowadays. Water sinks often and makes several drainages. Also the walls are needed to be repaired. A guest-house is also required for faraway guests.
17. The House of Dinabandhu Mitra at Gopalnagar
The house of Dinabandhu Mitra is located at the Chouberia in Gopalnagar of Bongaon sub-division. Dinabandhu Mitra was the noted playwright of Bengal and inspired a revolt through his work Nildarpan which provided a vivid account of the tortures and oppressions of the indigo planters of the Bengal on the villagers.
Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay pointed out the role played by this work in inspiring the indigo revolt wassimilar to that of Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe behind the US Civil War. Dinabandhu, as the Post-Master had an opportunity of going around through different villages of Bengal and Nildarpan, was the outcome of his observations during these trips.
18. The House of Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay at Gopalnagar
The house of BibhutibhushanBandopadhyay is located in Gopalnagar of Bongaon sub-division. Bibhutibhushan was one of the stalwarts of Bengali literature and a noted Bengali novelist of the post-Rabindranath era. Although he had a strong will and interest for higher education but had to quit it after graduation due to poverty and took the job of a school teacher in Bongaon High School. Later he taught in different schools all around in Bengal and also worked in Bhagalpur at the Kachhari of the zamindar Khelat Chandra Ghose.
His original house was located in the village in Bongaon on the banks of the Ichamati River. Bibhutibhusan spent most of his life in this house. He reconstructed his small house on the banks of Ichamati and named it after one of his works SesherKheya. Bibhutibhusan died in 1950, in Ghatsila.